Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

1 Corinthians 6:8 - More Than Do No Harm


1 Corinthians 6:8

NKJV

No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren!

 

NLT

Instead, you yourselves are the ones who do wrong and cheat even your fellow believers.

 

“You yourselves do wrong and cheat: There is no place for dishonest dealing by Christians; how much less place is there for dishonest dealing among Christians! Many have rejected the things of God and the fellowship of the saints because of dishonesty and cheating among Christians.” (Enduring Word)

 

As I continue this path in chapter 6, I think this is where it seems to me Paul hits them with the difference between “winning” and “doing the right thing”. Our whole culture is based upon winning; so was the Corinthians and if we’re being honest…so is the church. Be first and it doesn’t matter who you step on to get there. I get it, I’m a bit competitive myself…who doesn’t like to win? The Corinthians were so far from acting on the given advice, that instead of taking wrong…they were doing wrong. Instead of suffering for the Kingdom, they were causing suffering in the Kingdom. Are we different? Paul was specifically indicting the Corinthian believers on whether they’d lied, cheated, or stepped on fellow believers. But I’d like to expand that. Have we done this to anyone, believers or not?

 

If I examine myself in a bright light, I can look at times where I have been a Corinthian. The low hanging fruit is to say, “I shouldn’t have done that, but it didn’t hurt anyone” Well, if I go a little higher in the tree and get some of that high hanging fruit, the stuff that’s a little harder to get to, that hurts more when I pull at it…it did hurt someone and I repented and sought forgiveness from them. We must repent when we do wrong, we must make an effort to do right. Zacchaeus didn’t just repent; he paid back fourfold (Luke 19:8).

 

Hippocrates wrote in talking about physicians and disease:

 

“The physician must... have two special objects in view with regard to disease, namely, to do good or to do no harm."

 

This is the minimum standard! We have a Savior that came and did more than “no harm.” Jesus didn’t set the bar at neutral; He took our sins and carried them to a horrific sacrifice for you and me. He took our sins on Himself because He loves us. The Corinthians’ real failure wasn’t just harming others; it was refusing to take on harm for their brothers and at times inflicting the harm. Let’s redefine what “doing good” is, because “to do no harm” is lukewarm. Doing good should be us serving sacrificially; It should be us absorbing harm for the sake of others. What harm are you willing to absorb? Name it. That’s where the work is.

 

More than do no harm,

Pastor Cory


1 comment: