Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

1 Corinthians 1:14-17

 

1 Corinthians 1:14-17

 

NKJV

I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

 

NLT

 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, for now no one can say they were baptized in my name. (Oh yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas, but I don’t remember baptizing anyone else.) For Christ didn’t send me to baptize, but to preach the Good News—and not with clever speech, for fear that the cross of Christ would lose its power.

 

With all of the divisiveness that was happening at Corinth, Paul appears to make a clear separation from it.  I’m sure he baptized more than the few folks mentioned, but to him I think it wasn’t about who, or how many, he baptized; but all about the obedience of doing what Christ called him to do.  Baptism is not essential to salvation, but it’s an act of obedience and public declaration of who has saved us. The baptisms were a by product of his calling. 

 

That calling was to preach the gospel; and to preach it plainly and with truth.  Not adding any of himself, other than the testimony of how Jesus Christ affected his life but speaking mainly of the saving grace that is Jesus Christ.  He didn’t use his own words (his wisdom) or try to be clever; he just spoke truth about Jesus and who He was.  Isn’t this our calling too (as believers)?  To preach John 3:16-17?

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.”

 

Preach!

cej

No comments:

Post a Comment