Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

1 Corinthians 1:19-21

 

1 Corinthians 1:19-21

 

NKJV

For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.” Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

 

NLT

As the Scriptures say,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise

and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.”

So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish.  Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe. 

 

My mom used to say I was to smart for my own britches.  What I came to understand, when I had kids, was that I was trying to hard to outsmart her and my dad; rather than take the information from them as offered, I wanted to prove that I was a smart guy.  As I’ve gotten older, I realize that I’m not really all that smart!

 

When I was younger, I was always guilty of trying to be the smartest guy in the room when I came to my “spiritual” knowledge.  This happened more often than I care to admit.  I have/had an ego problem that at times makes me think I’m smarter than everybody else.  My pastor told me once that it’s important to know what know; but more important to know what you don’t know.  As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gained a tiny bit of wisdom about my ego (probably everybody’s ego!).  Fact of the matter is, I don’t know much.  What I thought was my wisdom was really foolishness.

God loves us because He loves us because He loves us.  Acknowledgement of sin and the belief that Jesus Christ is God’s own son and acceptance of Jesus Christ as your savior.  It’s that simple.  We shouldn’t complicate this with our own foolish add-ons!

 

Not addin’ on,

cej

No comments:

Post a Comment