Total Pageviews

Friday, April 9, 2021

1 Corinthians 2:1 - Simple Words

 

1 Corinthians 2:1

 

NKJV

And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

 

NLT

When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn’t use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God’s secret plan.

 

Proverbs 4:20-22 says “My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words. Don’t lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body.”

 

I wonder how often we lose sight of ourselves because we’re in the way. 

 

That statement may sound confusing, but bear with me for a bit.  At times when speaking in public I can focus so much on what I want to say, I lose what God has given me to say.  Whether out of the fear of public speaking or my own vanity…I quit relying on God to use me as a vessel for His word. 

 

I believe it can be the same when we are sharing Christ with others too.  We can get caught up in our own insecurity about our lack of knowledge of the Bible that we miss the opportunity to share the basics.  Or we can get so caught up in our own importance that we overwhelm those who we are called to witness to.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I believe the more we know (hide it in our hearts); the more we’re able to help the need in the moment.  So, I encourage you study more, to pray more; to spend more time with God.  But don’t forget the basics are all we really need to testify to the goodness of God and what the sacrifice of Christ was about.

 

We are not here to be philosophers or salesmen…we are here to be a witness.  These are the basics…. who is Christ…. who is Christ to me….and who Christ can be to you!  There is a time for “excellency of speech or of wisdom”, but it’s not all the time.

 

Simple words,

cej

No comments:

Post a Comment