Total Pageviews

Monday, April 19, 2021

1 Corinthians 2:6-8 - Beyond the Surface


 


1 Corinthians 2:6-8

 

NKJV

However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

 

NLT

Yet when I am among mature believers, I do speak with words of wisdom, but not the kind of wisdom that belongs to this world or to the rulers of this world, who are soon forgotten.  No, the wisdom we speak of is the mystery of God—his plan that was previously hidden, even though he made it for our ultimate glory before the world began.  But the rulers of this world have not understood it; if they had, they would not have crucified our glorious Lord. 

 

Here we see Paul addressing the hidden wisdom, or mystery, of God.  Sounds kinda cryptic, doesn’t it?  I believe this to be wisdom only available to the believer.  The folks that are unsaved are slaves to this world and all it offers.  They end up with no discernment from the Holy Spirit.  When we come to know Christ as our Savior, then we start to get revelation of God’s word and understanding of that word.

 

As a believer, we should have a hunger to know God better.  To understand this “mystery” and the only way we can is to pursue God with as much fervor as possible.  As we mature, as believers, His Word should reveal different things to us in knowledge and understanding.  The Bible is a living document, meaning that as I mature…what I understand before, could be deeper now.

 

Take Philippians 4:4, it says “Rejoice in the Lord always, Again I will say, rejoice!”  When I was a young Christian, it was pretty surface level.  I read it and then moved along to the next verses.  I didn’t have a good understanding of applying it to my life.  After my wife went through cancer, chemo and radiation; it took on a whole new meaning.  Rejoice always, became a call to celebrate the Lord NO MATTER WHAT!  My understanding of that verse changed dramatically as I “matured” as a believer.  To understand better, we must grow up!

 

Beyond the surface!

cej


No comments:

Post a Comment